Sunday 4 September 2011

Rant #2

This is my second rant on here already, the chances of anyone actually reading this is slim in any case, and I need to let off some steam about things. And because I'm a neat freak I'm actually going to number each issue.

        1. Chaz Bono on DWTS - It's already been blogged to death but I don't care. I'm still getting over the fact that in American "land of the free" that there are still such bigotry. With the don't ask don't tell policy being repealed, American are only just coming out the dark ages. But what pisses me off most about the Chaz Bono thing, is the fact the bigots are saying, that it might give kids ideas about transitioning. Well I say good, people need to see more of it. That it's not something that can be swept under the carpet and ignored. If your child is having gender issues, surely its better for them to think that they're not alone and there is people out there who feel the same way? there is one article here " Don't let your kids watch chaz bono " that has particularly pissed me off to the max. To quote said article
"The truth is that Chaz Bono should be empathized with and treated with dignity. Any contribution he makes to the world should be applauded as it would be for any other person.
But Chaz Bono should not be applauded for asserting she is a man (and goes about trying to look like one) any more than a woman who believes she will be happier without arms, has them removed and then continues to assert that she was right all along—her self-concept was that of a double amputee. Now, all is well.
 
Chaz Bono should not be applauded any more than someone who, tragically, believes that his species, rather than gender, is what is amiss and asks a plastic surgeon to build him a tail of flesh harvested from his abdomen. If only a plastic surgeon would acquiesce, all would be well."

Two things are wrong here, firstly through out the article they have been throwing around pronouns calling Chaz he one moment, then to try to further themselves refer to him as she.  Chaz Bono is a man, that is the bottom line.

And secondly, how can you compare gender dysphoria to wanting to be a double amputee or an animal? That is down right ridiculous.  The writer of the article is a psychiatrist?! I think he needs to go back to school and learn the difference. The fact of the matter is transpeople all over the world go through counselling and psychiatric analysis for months sometimes years before they can begin transition, to make sure it is right for them. And to make things worse, this man is saying he would have done anything in his power to stop Chaz from transitioning.

"Make no mistake: I would have gone to the ends of the earth to help Chaz Bono if she had come to me for help.
I would have treated her with dignity and summoned every ounce of my intellect and empathy to explore her psyche with her. I would have pried loose every family secret hidden by the Bonos.
I would have been relentless.
I would have used everything I know about medication to help her.
I would have enlisted the help of every expert I know—some of the world’s best—at everything from endocrinology to hypnosis.
I would have teamed up with a spiritual counselor, if that seemed indicated.
And if all that failed, and if Chaz Bono wanted either to kill herself or to undergo gender reassignment surgery, I would have taken that journey with her, too. I would have talked her parents through the hell of it. We would make the best of it.
Somehow, with enormous compassion and love and God’s help, we would get through it."

Doesn't that remind you of the straight camps?


      2. My mom and certain members of my family - While I've already come out and begun my transition, I need you to stop brushing it under the carpet, it's not a phase, I will not simply get over it. I have to do this, while I'm happier now than I used to be, just because I'm out doesn't mean I can live like this for the rest of my life. I can't go through life looking at the mirror and feeling repulsed at what I see. You take your bodies for granted, you all look in the mirror and see yourself. I look in the mirror and see a woman, and I'm not a woman I am a man.
It hurts me, when you don't use the name I have chosen, or if someone on the street asks you if I'm your son/brother and you say no I'm your daughter/sister, every little thing like that gets to me and knocks me down just that little bit more. Are you always going to do that? Even when I have a flat chest and a full beard are you still going to tell people I'm your daughter/sister, then they can look at me and think I'm a freak, and the shit under their shoe? At the moment I'm in this dark place, and I can't get out because every time I push myself that bit further out, you seem to be doing your hardest to push me back in. I can't live like that.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment